1.02.2011

Wednesday (it's actually Sunday, so I have some catching up to do)

Perth Zoo day! I'll do my best to remember which animal is which, but you may need to fill in with your own knowledge as you go. We were amazingly lucky in that my Auntie Judy's sister and brother-in-law are both docents at the zoo, and gave us a private tour through the entire place. Definitely a great way to see it - we learned so much more than we would have otherwise.

Thankfully we all know what these are.

Photobucket


But this? This is something new. It's called a sausage tree.

Photobucket


This is one of the little fellas whose name I can't remember. Anyone?

Photobucket


I was not a fan of the hyenas. They just look like bad news.

Photobucket

Photobucket


But we were all fans of these beautiful turtles.

Photobucket


A whole crew of wild beasts.

Photobucket


And then I couldn't believe our luck. We were just cruising along a path, and someone warned us to watch out from behind. So we scooted over, and a FREAKING ELEPHANT came moseying by. I believe her name is Trisha, and she gets to take a walk every day. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Did you know that there are such things as tree kangaroos? Neither did I until this photo was taken.

Photobucket


Beautiful flowers and ground covering.

Photobucket

Photobucket


An echidna!

Photobucket


Koalas for Rasmus!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Tasmanian Devil. He's not the most handsome guy in the place.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


Pretty puffball flowers. That's not their scientific name.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Most of the zoo looks like a tropical rainforest. It's really nice to walk through, as it's well-shaded and keeps the heat out.

Photobucket


Um. I think that these guys are lemurs (the furry animals, not the things wearing hats). I should know this, but I don't. Anyway, they were awesome. They kept playing with the kids at the window, then they'd drop down and pop back up.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Baby orangutan!

Photobucket


Uh, a um, stripey-tailed lemur-like thing.

Photobucket


Sophie Jemima. I was beginning to doubt my identification skills.

Photobucket


The Perth Zoo has an awesome wetlands area you can walk through. My favorites were the black and white birds called stilts. Their little legs bend backwards, and they're a blast to watch.

Photobucket

Photobucket


And all of the human beasties back at the entrance after a long and fun day.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Rasmus was so happy that he actually squeaked when he saw the koalas. And then did this sort of all over body wiggle of pure joy. Man, that kid does love him some baa-baas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know...that stripey-tailed lemur-like thing? Is a ring tailed lemur. HEE HEE!
    I are so smurt!
    And I'm glad that you were able to identify Sophie J. because I was starting to get worried!

    ReplyDelete