12.23.2010

Hello again! Sorry about the laziness in posting. I've been too busy eating Freddo Frogs and drinking cheap, pink, boxed wine, much to the horror of Uncle Ken.

It's been a really fun couple of days, and now it's Christmas Eve, so the next couple of days promise to be awesome too.

Going back to Wednesday, it was my Auntie Judy's last day at work at a job that she's had for more than 33 years. It's been a pretty stressful month for her, so we decided to do what any helpful relatives would do - we arranged to have a party at her house that evening. To our defense, we DID say that we'd take care of the food and drinks, and that all she'd need to do was come home.

Stephen and I started at the grocery store, where we argued over whether or not brown onions in Australia are the same thing as yellow onions in America. This was the point that he held it up and said, "look, it's a *bleeping* onion, isn't it?". It's also the point that I enlisted help from the produce employee, who told us that no, that was not the kind of onion we wanted.

Photobucket


Back to Judy & Ken's to get ready, and then the cousins started arriving. This is my cousin, Dean, with his gorgeous wife (Mio) and new baby (Jemma).

Photobucket


Myra gets her mitts on Jemma.

Photobucket


And then the rest of the cousins arrived. Declan is Sophie's age, and Patrick is Felix's age, so there was a lot of excitement surrounding meeting them. I wanted to get a nice photo of all four of them together. Hahaha.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I finally just settled on "they're all looking in the general direction of the camera".

Photobucket


The grown ups get down to the business of dinner.

Photobucket


Stephen gets down to the business of a gin and tonic AND champagne.

Photobucket


Nine year old nerds.

Photobucket


My cousin's mean and awful husband, Tim, has a fair bit of an advantage on me height-wise, and has spent years telling me all about it.

Photobucket


Sweetest baby ever.

Photobucket


Awww!

Photobucket


Judy came home from work (um, we sort of started without her) to find her house full of people.

Photobucket


This is Gwenda the Quenda. They're marsupials that are indigenous to Australia, and this one likes to be fed mince by my Uncle Ken.

Photobucket

Photobucket


I know that I called him a bit of a Grinch the other day, but when pouring alcohol of any kind, Ken is more than generous.

Photobucket


Here is my cousin, Dana, being talked at by TWO nine year olds, plus a Felix. God bless her. She is smiling on the outside, but on the inside she's trying to figure out the quickest escape route.

Photobucket


Here is mean, tall Tim picking Felix up by his ears.

Photobucket


As a grand finale for an already wonderful evening, the kids decided to dress up and sing Jingle Bells. It may have been the alcohol, but at the time, this seemed like one of the greatest things to ever have happened.

Photobucket

Photobucket


It was a fantastic evening, and huge thanks go to Ken and Judy for being willing and able to just roll with us taking over their house.

Can't wait for round two with the cousins tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. OK, I am completely LOVING all these pictures!! And my Declan was kind of thrilled when I said, "Look, Declan! It's another Declan!!!" And then we all got a little thrill when I said, "And, hey, that's Aunt Natalie's cousin Dean!" (Because, of course, Deco is Declan Dean!)
    I love the picture of Sophie next to Declan because she totally looks like she's thinking, "Ohmygoodness I'm standing next to a BOY!"
    I can't wait for you to get home so we can go for pie and I can hear a blow-by-blow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I love the picture of Sophie next to Declan because she totally looks like she's thinking, "Ohmygoodness I'm standing next to a BOY!" "

    I was so thinking the same thing!

    Thank you Nat for taking the time to do this blog.

    Love love love seeing the joy!

    ReplyDelete